Ever considered a teaching career in Further Education (FE)?
Working in FE really makes a difference to the individuals you are teaching. All sorts of students come through the door of an FE college: the 16 year old who senses that it’s time to leave school, the adult facing unemployment who wants to retrain to find a job, the non-native speaker looking to master English or the individual who wants to follow a vocation rather than
take a degree. They all have an eye on their future and this job will help them achieve their goals. People continue to need quality teaching throughout their lives and as a FE teacher you would work with a broad cross section of people of different ages, abilities and circumstances.
We are offering a new and exciting opportunity to train while you earn as a Trainee Teacher at Shipley College. We are looking for a range of Trainees - you will receive a salary for two years while studying part time, at no cost to you.
What are the benefits of the Trainee Teacher role?
● You will be employed by Shipley College and paid a wage throughout the course
● Trainee Teachers will gain either a PGCE, or Cert Ed qualification if you do not have a
degree, without needing to pay fees (currently £7,500).
● Trainee Teachers will gain a head start in their chosen profession
How does a Trainee Teacher role work?
This position combines working with studying part-time at the College. Trainee Teachers are employed throughout the 2 year programme, taking on an 80% workload while dedicating the rest of their time to developing their teaching practice. You will finish the period as a fully qualified post-16 teacher, once your qualification is achieved. Shipley College will help you identify an appropriate work-based mentor who can support you in your subject specialism.
● Hold a UK degree or equivalent professional qualification/experience
● Hold Level 2 in mathematics and English
● Complete a Satisfactory DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check
● Be eligible to work in the UK
● Be an Childcare professional – defined as someone who has worked for a minimum of three years in their area of vocation and is, at the time of applying still working in that same industry, or has been within the past 18 months; You will qualify for the general terms and conditions for teachers and have access to a range of benefits available to all staff at Shipley College, including:
● Wages £23,617 per year (assumes full time working)
● 40 days Holidays per year (September to August) plus Bank Holidays (8) and College
closure days (7)
● Membership of the Teachers Pension Scheme should you choose to join
● Access to a free gym on site
● Reduced cost train travel
Once fully qualified you can expect your salary to range from £23,617 to £33,477 for a main scale teacher. Depending on your previous teaching experience, you will have a reduced teaching load to begin with. Once you are up and running, you will have an 80% teaching load. Please note that there will be a requirement to work flexibly, which may include some Saturdays and
‘school holidays’. The PGCE is taught across 12 Saturdays per year, which, for 2021/22, will be confirmed before you start. It is expected that you will have 100% attendance for the duration of your apprenticeship. Dates for 2022/23 will be released early in 2021. We expect our Trainee Teachers to form the backbone of our future workforce so are looking for the best candidates. We want you to be making the right step - for you and for us.