Who we are.
Activate Learning is a pioneering education group with a global reach, committed to transforming lives through our approach to learning.
We see our employees as individuals, empowering them to make the right choices for their ambitions and careers. We value our people as vital to our continued success and aspire to a diverse, open and inclusive environment that provides the motivation for everyone to pursue their career goals and flourish.
When you work for Activate Learning, you're working for an organisation that provides you with the advantages of a large employer, a trusted partner in your career development, and a transformational way of working whilst also investing in building a community environment for everyone. Together, we will bring out the best version of yourself.
The Woodlands Centre at Merrist Wood College provides a safe and secure learning environment for up to 35 students with profound and complex learning difficulties including sensory impairment, physical difficulties, behaviour and severe medical conditions. We are looking for people with a kind, caring nature and has a genuine interest in helping young people to thrive and achieve their individual goals. If you have a proven track record of working within the education sector, care industry and childcare, we would love to hear from you!
We have a variety of full time and part time opportunities available (all of which require you to work between the hours of 9am - 3pm), term time only.
Should you have a preference on contract types, working hours/days, please state this on your application.
The hourly rate offered for these positions is from £10.66 - £11.65ph depending on skills and experience.
(Term time only salary calculator - your pay will be based on your working hours per week, multiplied by the number of weeks worked, plus 6 weeks holiday and will be spread equally over 12 months). About the role
As a Teaching Assistant, you will be supporting courses which are designed for young adults with learning difficulties and/or disabilities to gain more independence, learn life and living skills and progress into a supported living environment. Learners are working from pre-entry up to level 1. Topics include meal preparation, independence skills, wellbeing, world of work, project-based learning, functional skills and Communication and social Skills.
This will also include:
What do you need to be a successful Teaching Assistant at Activate Learning?
- working 1:1 with students, moving around the campuses, moving across the programme as required.
- Personal care is part of the duties of this role and training will be provided in giving medical care and support.
As a teaching assistant you will: be able to provide support to students with learning disabilities and/or disabilities; some of which are complex. You will have good communication skills to be able to work with tutors to ensure the delivery of an effective programme of further education and to work as part of a co-ordination team.
As a Teaching Assistant you will:
• E Literate and competent in IT packages e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher.
• You will have a creative approach to motivating learners and an innovative approach to delivering support
• Experience of working in an FE environment would be advantageous but it is not essential
• A level 3 Support Assistant qualification or equivalent but this is not essential Why work with the Activate Learning Group?Here are some of our benefits:
• Enrolment into generous pensions schemes
• Generous annual leave entitlement
• Excellent on-site facilities including free onsite parking, refectory facilities, Hair and Beauty salons
• An extensive Learning and Development programme with a range of CPD opportunities
• Specialised support and development for teaching staff
• Access to qualified coaches for all staff
• Leadership and Management development programmes
• Flexible working opportunities, where appropriate
• A comprehensive wellbeing programme including access to the Fika and Everymind app
• Mental Health support including access to Mental Health First Aiders
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Employee resource groups
• Cycle to work scheme
• Refer a friend vacancy incentive
• Access to student discount programmes
Applications are reviewed and shortlisted on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to interview, appoint and close adverts early due to the volume of applications we receive.
We therefore encourage you to apply at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment as once we have closed a vacancy you will be unable to submit your application form.
Activate Learning is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all its staff to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be required to undergo a DBS check at the appropriate level.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK as we do not sponsor work permits and work permits from other organisations are unacceptable as proof of right to work in the UK.
Applications are encouraged from all candidates meeting or exceeding the minimum criteria for the role regardless of age, disability, gender, orientation, race, religion or ethnicity.
Activate Learning are committed to employing people with disabilities and will ensure our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible. If you require any reasonable adjustments either at application or interview stage please contact the talent team directly.
If an agency submits an unsolicited CV to any partner or employee of our company, you should be aware that they have no authority to enter into an arrangement with you. Should we require recruitment agency involvement, we will contact the agencies on our preferred suppliers list, and we would ask that you respect the relationships we have already built with these suppliers.