£26,465 - £27,219 per annum
40 hours per week
5 days over 7 (Including early and late shifts and weekend working)
Hartpury University and Hartpury College are among the UK’s leading specialist education providers in agriculture, animal, equine, sport and veterinary nursing. Located in Gloucestershire, Hartpury University and Hartpury College sit side-by-side on a beautiful 360-hectare campus. We provide world-class facilities to more than 4,000 university and college-level students studying undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, A-levels and diplomas, as well as undertaking industry research. The University is rated top 20 in the UK for Teaching Quality (Times Good University Guide 2022) and has 96% graduate employability, whilst the College is rated Ofsted Outstanding in all areas. A passionate and innovative business culture and exceptional support networks make Hartpury an ideal career choice.
Hartpury is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can all be ourselves. We particularly welcome applicants that we are underrepresented in, including those from ethnically diverse backgrounds, LGBTQI+ communities, and those living with disabilities. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion we offer a range of inclusive policies, flexible working arrangements and a multi-faith space to support staff from different backgrounds.
What we Offer:
- Free transport from Gloucester City Centre/Free on-site car parking
- Free meals whilst on shift
- Uniform will be provided
- 25 days annual leave entitlement plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days with length of service
- Local Government Pension Scheme with employer contributions
- Essential training such as an Advanced Food Hygiene Certificate and City & Guilds 706 1 & 2 in Catering, Manual Handling and First Aid will be provided if you do not hold these already
- Onsite fitness facilities
- Wellbeing events throughout the year and Employee Assistance Programme
- Parental Leave
- Employee Discounts Scheme – Sodexo Benefits include discounts to be used in Supermarkets and High Street shops, on days out, at the cinema, for travel and so much more.
About the Role:
- We are looking for an efficient and enthusiastic Chef to join our busy Catering Team working in our brand new catering outlet on campus which opened in September 2022.
- You will work as part of our dynamic catering team in Hartpury’s kitchen and eating outlets across the campus, from the Equine Centre to hospitality in the Sports Academy on match days
- Working to costed recipes, you will skillfully produce a variety of food dishes to a high standard for students and staff during term time as well as external visitors and event participants, particularly during holiday periods.
- You will maintain a clean, tidy and safe kitchen to ensure an excellent working environment
- You will be responsible for the food hygiene systems and ensure the kitchens are compliant to deliver the best quality meals and complete all relevant records relating to this.
- You will work together with the wider Catering Team to ensure food hygiene standards are met and lead by example.
- Core hours of working for an early shift will be between 6:30am and 3:30pm with one hour unpaid break
- Core hours of working for a late shift will be between 12pm and 9pm with one hour unpaid break.
- Core hours of working on weekends and during the event period may vary.
- You will have significant experience in a similar role and fast-paced environment, with the ability to demonstrate a high personal competency in all technical skills required to operate in a commercial kitchen and to produce food of a consistently high quality
- You will be passionate about great-tasting food and exceptional customer service
- You will have the ability to work effectively as part of a team and use your own initiative
- You will have a can-do mindset and react positively to changing priorities
- You will have a flexible approach to working to meet the needs of the Catering Department, including weekend working.
- Ideally you will hold a City & Guilds 706 1 & 2 in Catering or equivalent NVQ qualification and Advance Food Hygiene Certificate but this is not essential.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Click the button below to apply online or telephone (01452) 702135 to request documents by post.
Click here to view the full Job Description and Person Specification
The recruitment process will include a formal interview, tour of the campus and catering facilities, and completion of either an early shift (includes breakfast and lunch) or a late shift (includes lunch and dinner).
We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the specified closing date should we receive sufficient applications or in order to respond to business needs. In order to avoid missing an opportunity to apply please submit your application as early as possible.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK.