College Porter - Colchester Institute
To be a member of a team providing a variety of services primarily concerned with the safety, security and basic site maintenance of College buildings, contents and grounds at our Colchester Campus. To undertake planned and reactive maintenance, repairs, cleaning and porterage duties to ensure safe, clean environments for all users.
- To carry out safety and security procedures for Colchester buildings and contents, including the routine and non-routine locking and unlocking of premises and grounds.
- To maintain appropriate standards of behaviour by students in all communal areas of the College’s premises.
- To provide first aid assistance as necessary, and therefore become a trained first aider
- To carry out porter duties such as the movement of goods, fixtures and fittings, moving of furniture, setting out furniture for conferences and events.
- To undertake responsibilities in accordance with the College’s incident management procedures and take immediate action in the event of emergencies such as fire, flood, snow and any other event to ensure operational continuity for the College.
- Carry out regular clearance of leaves at the Colchester site using specialised equipment
- To carry out minor improvements, decorations, inspections and repairs joinery, plumbing electrical where qualified to do so, which also may require the use of small power tools
- To undertake routine duties including cleaning as necessary, keeping entrances clear, litter picking, emptying litter bins, gritting, compacting of waste and cardboard.
- Ensure water services are maintained including repairs to pipes, taps, urinals and cisterns, clearing blockages and ensuring drains and gullies are kept clear
- To ensure safety precautions are observed throughout the campus and ensure contractors work safely.
- When necessary drive any Colchester Institute Vehicle, including the Mini buses (Conditional on passing a BSM minibus test)
- Act as key holder for College sites for out-of-hours emergencies and respond to intruder or fire alarm activation.
- Comply with the College’s Health and Safety Policy within the ambit of the post, advising line management of any breaches of H&S as soon as possible.
- Work to promote and apply the College’s Equality and Diversity Policy and Practices.
- Work to promote and apply the College’s Safeguarding policy and practices.
- Undertaking such other duties as may be required by or on behalf of Colchester Institute provided that they are consistent with the nature of the post.
This job description is current as the date shown. It may be amended in any way following consultation with the post holder to take account of changes or anticipated changes in the organisation or management of Colchester Institute