Foundation Learning facilitates courses for students with a wide range of severe to moderate learning difficulties, including but not exclusively profound and multiple difficulties, autistic spectrum disorder of varying degrees, challenging behaviour, and moderate learning needs. Foundation learning Support Assistants also support a range of medical needs such as epilepsy and stoma care.
To work with learners accessing Foundation Learning courses. To assist the Course Leader with the day to day supervision and support of the learners. To work closely with the tutor, team leader and senior support worker to provide support for all students, on 1:1 and group basis and to work in a team to successfully support the positive work of the section.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the individual needs of learners adhering to Care and Behavioural Support plans.
- Support learners on an individual basis, and to have the emotional resilience to cope with complex needs and behaviours.
- Store and administer learner medication in line with medical instructions and record information accurately in medication folder in accordance with medical procedures and college policy’s. Administer lifesaving drugs to individuals when required.(Full training will be given)
- Support individuals at all times of the day, both on and off site, to include making choices and assistance in eating and drinking as appropriate.
- Assist students with personal care needs, If appropriate to assist students with Physio therapy programmes, and hydro therapy users within the off-site hydro pool and to work with external specialists such as SALT, physio, OT, involved in an individual’s care/support and implement the plan provided by them.
- Attend all relevant meetings and attend all relevant training as necessary, and be committed to continually updating their CPD.
- To support learners in class under the leadership of the class teacher, differentiating tasks/work to meet an individual’s needs, enabling them to access learning.
- To adhere to the dress code, ensuring uniform is kept presentable.
- To be aware of all jobs/tasks required to be done to support the smooth running of the course i.e. classroom set-up and collecting resources and to be actively involved in individual learning plans and ensuring students are working towards and meeting targets.
- Working with course leader and team leader to produce and maintain targets agreed in education, health and care plans, including progress logging.
- Complete all required learner records in preparation for audit.
- Observe and implement college policies and procedures, e.g. Health & Safety, Attendance and Equality of Opportunity.
- Promote, monitor and provide effective referral and/or feedback on Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults and the Disability Equality Duty agendas.
- Participate as appropriate in College events such as Open days and to participate in appraisals as per college policies and procedures.
- Contribute to review and evaluation of the Learner Support Service as required.
- Carry out any other duties that are reasonable and within the level of responsibility for the post as determined by the Learner Support, Tutorial and School Partnerships Manager.
LEVEL OF SUPERVISION:
Regularly supervised with work checked by relevant course leader line-manager and Senior Support Assistant.
NB. This job description is current at the issue date. In consultation, it is liable to variation to reflect changes in the job.
Although the advertised closing date is the 15th September 2019, Newbury College reserves the right to proceed to shortlist and close the job when the required number of applicants has been met.
Our college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Please Note, We Don't Accept CV Applications and require you to complete an application form and submit it through AoC Jobs.