Milton Keynes College have an exciting opportunity for a Deputy Education Manager to join our Prison Services team at HMP Swaleside.
You will work closely with the Education Manager to effectively and efficiently manage all aspects of the department, ensure the day-to-day-smooth running of the department and its staff and support the achievement of outstanding learning, teaching and success.
This vacancy would suit a highly motivated education professional, with a can do approach. You will support the Education Manager to plan and manage the deployment of staff and resources by supporting the department to deliver high quality courses that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
Location: HMP Swaleside, Kent, ME12 4AX
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £33,235 - £35,416 per annum
Closing date: Sunday 22nd September 2019
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
• 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more…
About HMP Swaleside:
Swaleside is a category B Long Term High Security prison for males. It is located on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent with an operational capacity is 1112. Core values include building a rehabilitative culture and reducing re-offending. Swaleside has a broad education curriculum with future plans for growth.
The curriculum at HMP Swaleside is broad. The prison delivers Functional Skills Maths and English, Hospitality, Business Studies, IT, Employability, Nutrition, Art, Food Safety and Catering, Music, History and Literature as well as theory of engineering and drama. The prison is also hoping to expand the education curriculum in the future to include subjects such as barbering and web design.
The education regime is 8.15am – 11.30am and 1.45pm – 4.30pm Monday to Thursday. Fridays are 8.15am – 11am.
The education department consists of spacious classrooms with excellent facilities, the environment strongly reflects a college rather than a prison.
As a successful candidate you will:
• Have a degree or vocational qualification.
• Hold a recognised qualification in Leadership & Management (or be willing to work towards, by partaking in the College Leadership & Management Apprenticeship Programme) (Essential)
• Hold a teaching qualification and ideally assessor/verifier awards.
• Have proven educational management experience.
• Have experience of leading curriculum innovation and development.
• Have experience of providing high quality and effective learning.
• Have a strong track record in the management of quality improvement with evidence of raising standards.
• Have well developed organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Display energy, drive and an entrepreneurial attitude to work.
• The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate skills associated with engaging Young Offenders in order to reduce re-offending.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education at our campuses in Milton Keynes. In addition, the College delivers employability and skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres. For nearly 30 years, we have worked with offenders in both custody, and the wider community and currently work with 19 prisons across England; this includes 13 prisons, which make up the Long Term High Security Estate, and 6 category B, C & D men’s prisons.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a thorough on boarding process to include DBS. In addition, security clearance is required for all prison services positions.
Milton Keynes College has been officially recognised for its commitment and approach to equality, diversity and inclusion. It has been awarded the much sought-after Leaders in Diversity accreditation from the National Centre for Diversity. The award recognises the College’s clear ethos and values and a belief in the importance of diversity.
Bedford College Group
JobG8 - Academy