The Security Officer will be required to work in a methodical and conscientious manner and have good observational skills. Honesty and integrity are imperative as the Security Officer has responsibility for security of all College buildings. Ideally the Security Officer will be experienced in this type of work and may hold SIA qualifications.
The Security Officer will have contact with a wide range of people including College staff and students as well as members of the public so they need to be a good communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy and a sense of humour. The job involves a lot of walking as the College is based on three sites and the Security Officer may have to visit the sites a number of times during the shift.
The Security Officer will report to the Health, Safety and Security Manager and will receive information training and guidance on all relevant Health, Safety regulations and procedures. The Security Officer will be required to act as the appointed person for the first aid emergencies out of the normal College working hours. A relevant qualification will be required and first aid training will be provided.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- To be responsible for security on the College sites in association with the Health, Safety and Security Manager.
- To secure and lock all College buildings at the end of the day and to carry out checks in accordance with College procedures.
- To monitor the safety of students boarding buses at the end of the College day and to assist in checking bus passes as required.
- To ensure the correct use of College parking facilities including assisting in the enforcement of College parking restrictions
- To report to the Health, Safety and Security Manager any non-compliance with College rules or codes of behaviour.
- To ensure that trespassers are identified and challenged in accordance with College procedures.
- To carry out patrols of College sites and buildings as required and to monitor CCTV cameras.
- To unlock buildings and set up rooms for external hirers, College staff and contractors on Saturdays, as required, and to lock buildings at the end of the day. The number of Saturdays will be agreed on annual basis.
- To respond to request for support in the event of security alerts or fire alarms and to support the Health, Safety and Security Manager or Evening Duty Manager in the safe evacuation of the site in the event of an emergency.
- To use the College’s email system to receive room and event bookings and report incidents.
- To identify personal and professional staff development needs to meet the College’s Strategic and Operational Plan.
- To ensure continuous professional development (CPD) requirements as specified by the College and that may be identified during College processes, for example Appraisal.
- To participate in the College Appraisal Scheme.
- To be responsible for ensuring that the duties and responsibilities detailed in the College Health and Safety Policy are adhered to and carried out.
- To maintain awareness of the requirements of the College Health and Safety Policy.
- To read and apply the College Safeguarding procedures and to ensure that the duties and responsibilities detailed in the College Safeguarding Policy are adhered to and carried out.
- To read the College Single Equality Scheme and to act in accordance with statutory obligations under the equality duties and in compliance with current Equality and Diversity legislation.
- To ensure adherence to the College Data Protection Policy.
- To work to the College quality standards and systems within the context of the College quality systems.
- To undertake such other duties and responsibilities as are appropriate to this level of post.
Essential skills and characteristics
- Good standard of written and spoken English, with good communication/interpersonal skills
- Understanding and experience of basic IT programmes such as Word, Excel and Outlook
- Full clean driving licence
- Flexibility in working practices
- Methodical and conscientious
- DBS checked (can be carried out on appointment)
Desirable skills and characteristics
- Previous security experience
- First Aid qualification
- SIA licenced
- Experience in the use of CCTV