HMP Stocken’s education department are looking for an experienced Warehousing lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver Warehousing with a focus on Employability to a diverse group of learners within the prison. As part of the course, you will also be required to embed Maths and English. As a Lecturer within our Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team, you will help to develop a strong Warehousing programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College. This course will include covering areas such as operating equipment, safety in the work place, processing orders, leadership within a team and managing the process of dispatching goods.
You will be required to teach and support within outreach workshops. This will include bringing education to the wings as well as other areas of the prison outside the classrooms. The outreach work will involve supporting learners to complete qualifications outside of the typical education environment.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Warehousing. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Warehousing teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative lecturer, who can thrive upon working within a challenging yet rewarding environment, who can offer skills & knowledge to our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
Location: HMP Stocken (LE15 7RD)
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £32,578 per annum
Closing Date: 18th November 2018
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
- 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
- Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
- Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
- Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Busy Bee’s childcare vouchers can save working parents up to £933 per year in a variety of registered childcare, such as Nurseries, Nannies, after school activities, Summer Camps and Breakfast Clubs up the age of 15.
- Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
- Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
- 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
- Plus many more…
About HMP Stocken:
HMP Stocken is a Category C Training Prison holding prisoners that are serving medium to long-term sentences. Category C Training Prisons offer employment and training in a variety of activities.
Milton Keynes College works in partnership with the prison to provide the prisoners with both academic courses and vocational training opportunities to equip them with skills and qualifications necessary to increase their employment prospects on release. The courses offered are Functional Skills English and Maths, ICT, Business Studies, Peer Mentoring, Catering, Motor Vehicle Studies, Bricklaying, Painting and Decorating and Plumbing qualifications. In addition to this, we also offer personal and social development courses such as Assertiveness, Decision Making, Personal Finances, Drug and Alcohol Awareness, Communication Skills and Teamwork to enable the men to develop skills in these areas.
Working together, the college and prison are committed to providing positive opportunities to enable the men in the establishment to reach their full potential and inspire them to end their offending behaviour. The staff in the Education Department work enthusiastically as a team to engage learners that are sometimes hard to reach, this dedication and enthusiasm contributed to the grade 2 in the latest Ofsted inspection.
As a successful candidate, you will:
- Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above) in Warehousing / Employability.
- Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
- Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
- Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
- Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
- Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
- Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
- Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
- Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
- Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
- Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
- The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.