Head of English
We are Study Group, a global pathway provider in International Education, working in partnership with a number of Top Tier University Partners. Voted as the 2017 and 2018 Global Pathway Provider of the year, our people are united with the shared ambition of providing a world-class UK education to talented students from across the globe. Using innovative teaching methods in an autonomous working environment, we empower our students to reach their potential, providing an unforgettable student experience, and a positive introduction to the UK and its culture.
This is a truly unique opportunity at our Durham University International Study Centre, and if you are an experienced Academic English enthusiast, with extensive people management experience, looking for a new challenge, then this opportunity shouldn’t be missed.
What is this role and where does it fit in?
- You will lead and motivate a team of Academic English Tutors to contribute to ensuring the best possible student outcomes and student experience on our English and Academic Skills courses and modules.
- You’ll provide effective performance management of direct reports, including setting personal objectives and KPIs; regularly reviewing performance, and conducting formal performance reviews according to company policy and procedures.
- You’ll have the opportunity to plan and oversee the design and delivery of all English, and Academic Skills courses and modules, ensuring the best possible student outcomes and student experience.
- Lead the design and implementation of appropriate, fair and secure assessment activities for English and Academic Skills, and ensure all students receive effective assessment feedback.
- Ensure that the design and delivery of all English, and Academic Skills courses and modules are conducted with reference to and according to Study Group’s, Durham University’s and relevant external agencies’ quality frameworks, policies, procedures and codes of practice.
- You’ll play a key role in the preparation of new courses and modules in English, and Academic Skills for approval, and existing courses for re-approval.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key academic contacts at the University for English, and Academic Skills
What experience do you need?
- Proven success with Leadership and management of Academic English Tutors in a teaching and learning environment,
- Experience of leading a team to achieve high levels of student academic performance and outcomes against agreed targets.
- This role will have input into the Senior Management team, so a strategic thinker with experience managing and analysing performance data is essential.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and a CELTA is essential, with a DELTA or MA Linguistics being highly desirable.
- Experience of teaching English to international students in UK Higher or Further Education.
- You must be a team player with the ability and experience of managing a diverse group of staff.
Our Durham University Study Centre is the newest to the Study Group network, recently opened its doors in September last year. Based in the spectacular Queens Campus, it is now a fully functional centre full of talented students from across the globe. The centre runs a dynamic curriculum across the International Foundation and the Pre-Masters programme. This is a high-energy centre, where no day is the same. The centre is right next to the River Tees and the breath-taking Infinity Bridge
What can we offer?
- 30 days holiday per year that can be taken at any time.
- Professional Development opportunities. The opportunity to work with students from all over the world.
- The chance to work as part of a global highly collaborative network.
- A unique HE working environment, with the advantages of FE such as teaching training, innovation, and smaller class sizes.
- As we have full ownership of our curriculum - we are able to adapt and consistently provide current, relevant and engaging material to our students.
- We value flexibility within the workplace - creating an adaptive working environment with a number of different working arrangements available to our people.
We will be reviewing, and progressing with successful candidates from when an application is received. This is a rolling recruitment process so please do not hesitate to apply to avoid disappointment.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same dedication. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.