Within this role you will support the teachers across FE and HE level Science courses and the key duties of our Lab Technicians include:
- Set up and removal of lab equipment prior to lab sessions following strict health and safety guidelines.
- Liaising with teaching staff to identify requirements of classes.
- Responsible for all science degree practical sessions and supporting staff during the practical session.
- Supervision of dissertation students, while they carry out their lab work for their projects.
- Arranging quotes for lab equipment.
- General maintenance of lab equipment.
- Maintaining stock levels.
- Being responsible for the overall running of the labs within the science department with support from the other 2 technicians.
Prior knowledge required
- Experience of working or have the knowledge of working within a microbiology or molecular biology laboratory
- Have strong science skills, in particular Biology knowledge.
- It would also be advantageous to have knowledge of preparing solutions in a chemistry environment.
The working hours will usually be 37 per week Monday to Friday, which may include some evenings and will be term time only covering both FE and HE terms. There will also be an occasional Saturday.
Essential requirements are a Level 3 or above qualification or equivalent in the relevant area, and suitable experience of working with Science degrees at level 6. You will be a self starter, who can quickly build relationships, with excellent organisation, planning and communication skills.
The College offers many good employment benefits including many on-site benefits and facilities, including a gym and on-site nursery. This position will be based at our Peterborough Park Crescent site.