Theatre Technical Manager
- Ensures the day to day smooth running of the performing arts spaces and related workshop.
- Support and Assists the performing and production arts tutors in the effective delivery of the courses
- Orders materials and equipment in line with budget guidance, oversees local budget under advisement from curriculum manager.
- Advises the Curriculum Manager on the purchasing of equipment and resources as necessary to support learning.
- Guides and assists Production Arts students in creating support for performances. For this they will need to have skills in:
- Lighting (ideally ION desk or willingness to learn)
- Set construction (desirable)
- Assists and acts as on site technician for in house (student) and received (hires) productions for set up and show times. May act as production manager for HE (degree shows) which may entail oversight of lighting and sound design.
- Ensures health and safety regulations are adhered to by all users of the Theatre, performance spaces and workshop.
- Undertakes front line maintenance of all performing arts and workshop tools and equipment
- Effectively manages the workshops/classrooms/performance spaces through liaison with the lecturers to ensure they are equipped and ready for planned practical sessions.
- Supports teaching staff as necessary and supervises and/or instruct students in the delivery of the practical aspects of the course, demonstrating materials, techniques and processes and giving sound advice and guidance in order to engage students and enable them to produce work of the highest standard, both in the presence and absence of the tutor.
- Supervises and/or instructs students whilst on self-directed study, both in the presence and absence of the tutor.
- Ensures that students are abiding by the College Code of Conduct and their behaviour is appropriate.
- Maintains and safely uses and/or demonstrates the safe use of equipment, tools and materials in order to ensure that Health & Safety aspects of the workshops/studios and teaching areas are adhered to. This includes the maintenance of appropriate records, such as risk assessments and COSHH sheets and assisting the lecturer in ensuring students comply with health and safety regulations at all times.
- Effectively manages the health and safety risk assessment and risk register process for designated learning areas and activities. Attends LOAD (H+S) meetings.
- Ensures that the workshop/theatre users adhere to a cleaning regime, being accountable for the condition of the workshops, and that all communal areas are left clean and tidy.
- Attends Open Evenings, cross College activities and external events and exhibitions to actively promote the College and takes part in the End of Year Show as required. The post will require some flexibility to support evening shows from time to time depending on curriculum schedule, including managing/supporting FoH/box office/bar
- Undertakes to undergo appropriate training for heights/workshop/bar license holder and other duties commensurate with role. (If certificates are not already held College will reimburse within reason).
Any other duties commensurate with the grading of this post as may be required from time to time.
- Keep records of expenditure and income via eBis system.
- Keeps up to date records of equipment safety certifications and manages renewal of certifications as necessary
Be a member of relevant course teams and participate fully in their activities, including participating in course and curriculum monitoring, reviews and evaluations.
- Provide active support to individual students.
- Encourage students to take an active part in the life of the College.
- Help to ensure College regulations and policies are upheld.
- Initiate action if misdemeanours or infringements of College policy occur.
- Attend staff meetings when reasonably requested.
- Actively promote and market the College and present a positive image of the College and its activities both within and outside the College environment.
- Ensure the quality standards and performance measures applying to the work of the section are met and facilitate continuous improvements in all aspects of the post.
- Undergo any self-development and training as necessary for success in the role.
- Carry out any duties at all times in accordance with the College’s policies including Equality and Diversity & Health and Safety Policies.
- Incorporate into the role the philosophy, values and behaviour stated in the College’s Vision, Mission and Values.
- Be aware of and maintain within the College the College’s approach to security and discipline.
- Undertake any other responsibilities commensurate with the grade of the post, which the Principal or their senior management representative may from time to time require.
- Ensures that health and safety records as above are available to college health and safety manager as directed
- Maintain a knowledge of developments within own areas of expertise and to help keep course material up to date to reflect the requirements of the College and the examining/validating bodies.
- The post will be based at one of the College campuses, but the duties of the job will require the post holder to work at any College campus or other location connected with the work of the College. Travel between the College main campuses will form a requisite part of this post.