Learning Support Practitioner
7 days left
- Organisational Type
- GFE College
Milton Keynes College have an exciting opportunity for an Additional Learning Support Practitioner to join the education department within HMPYOI Brinsford. The ideal candidate will be someone who is able to inspire and assist learners throughout their academic and vocational studies. The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
You will be a passionate, creative and empathetic towards our learners and be able to offer knowledge and guidance to our learners.
- Skills assessment and highlighting specific learning needs.
- Provision of ALS within accredited learning programmes
- Focused learning support for English and maths, leading to employability outcomes
- Effective target setting to meet individual needs; including personal, social and educational targets
- Inspirational learning support small group and one to one learning
- An holistic approach to improving learner skills to support transition into a relevant career pathway
- Providing appropriate support in formal assessment
- Coordinate the allocation of support to ALS student.
Location: HMPYOI Brinsford, Wolverhampton, WV10 7PY
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £21,522 per annum
Closing date for applications: 21st November 2018
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
- 25 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
- Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
- Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
- Access to Local Government Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
- Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
- 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
- Plus many more…
About HMPYOI Brinsford:
HMP YOI Brinsford is a Young Adults (18-21 years) institute as well as Category C adult male prison. The Education Department works closely with prison colleagues to deliver relevant courses from Entry Level to Level 2 that help prepare learners for employment upon release. We are proud to work with our Academy colleagues who support learners from our Cleaning and Fork Lift Truck courses into employment. Through our Academy, we work closely with RMF who deliver our Step into Construction Course enabling learners to achieve their CSCS card and provide potential employment opportunities on release.
Other vocational pathways include Catering and Hospitality, Barista, Horticulture, Painting & Decorating, Carpentry & Joinery, Recycling, Industrial Cleaning and Warehousing and Storage. English and Maths Functional Skills are compulsory for rehabilitating offenders and we have provision at Entry 1 to Level 2. Creative Arts, Personal, and Social Development are also delivered as part of our varied curriculum.
As a successful candidate, you will:
- Have a good basic general education including GCSE (or equivalent) Maths and English at Grade C.
- Hold an NVQ2/NVQ3 Teaching Assistant qualification or be willing to work towards.
- Have experience of working in a learning environment.
- Have well-developed interpersonal skills in relating to prison staff and in working with students who may have little experience of education and training.
- Be computer literate and willing to improve your IT skills.
- Have the ability to work as part of a team and on their own initiative.
- Have good organisational skills and be able to meet deadlines.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.