HMP Bullingdon’s education department have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Head of Education to join their Milton Keynes College Prison Services team. As Head of Education, at HMP Bullingdon you will demonstrate clear, decisive and innovative leadership, whilst developing strong partnership working with our prison colleagues.
The Head of Education will lead and support growth by driving and maintaining improvement within the education department. You will identify and implement objectives using strategic management. You will also be responsible for high volume budget management, target setting alongside continuous performance and quality advancement.
As Head of Education you will line manage a deputy education manager, 4 programme managers and oversee approximately 50 staff in total.
The successful candidate will be an experience strategic education manager who can inspire and challenge staff to create a dynamic culture with outstanding learning, teaching and student success throughout.
Location: HMP Bullingdon, Bicester, OX25 1PZ
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £39,770 - £42,960 per annum
Closing date: Tuesday 22nd October 2019
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
• 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more…
About HMP Bullingdon:
Bullingdon Community Prison is situated near the village of Arncott in Bicester, Oxon. HMP Bullingdon is a complex prison that has a number of functions. It is categorized as a local category B prison which a category C resettlement function. HMP Bullingdon has the capacity to hold 1114 offenders all serving a range of sentences from remand to life, with the average length of stay between 3 and 6 months.
The College works closely with our prison colleagues to deliver short to medium courses that help prepare learners for employment upon release. Courses include: English and Maths Functional Skills (Entry 2 to Level 2), ICT, Cookery, Hospitality, Business, Self-Employment, Painting & Decorating, Horticulture, Paving, Mentoring and Barbering.
In the department we believe the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge will help our learners to end their offending behaviour. We engage the hardest to reach learners and encourage them to take pride in their own education and self-development. As a department, we endeavour to inspire learners to achieve and for some, attain their first significant qualifications.
As a successful candidate, you will:
• Have proven high-level management experience.
• Have proven ability of driving and maintaining improvement within a management position.
• Hold a recognised qualification in Leadership & Management (or be willing to work towards, by partaking in the College Leadership & Management Apprenticeship Programme) (Essential)
• Have proven experience of managing teams in a challenging environment, effectively managing tensions as they arise.
• Hold a teaching qualification and ideally Assessor/Verifier awards.
• Have a degree or equivalent qualification.
• Have well developed organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Have experience of effectively implementing and managing quality improvement processes.
• Display energy, drive and an entrepreneurial attitude to work.
• Have considerable curriculum development experience and be able to articulate an attractive curriculum vision.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education at our campuses in Milton Keynes. In addition, the College delivers employability and skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres. For nearly 30 years, we have worked with offenders in both custody, and the wider community and currently work with 19 prisons across England; this includes 13 prisons, which make up the Long Term High Security Estate, and 6 category B, C & D men’s prisons.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a thorough on boarding process to include DBS. In addition, security clearance is required for all prison services positions.
Milton Keynes College has been officially recognised for its commitment and approach to equality, diversity and inclusion. It has been awarded the much sought-after Leaders in Diversity accreditation from the National Centre for Diversity. The award recognises the College’s clear ethos and values and a belief in the importance of diversity.