South & City College Birmingham is one of the largest further education colleges in the region and offers full-time and part time courses, Apprenticeships and university level courses. We provide courses and training to around 22,000 students and have 8 campuses across Birmingham. We are committed to ensuring students have the relevant skills, qualifications and experience required for their future careers.
Our College recently achieved a 'Good' Ofsted grade making the College the most successful Further Education College in Birmingham. Our employees enjoy career development opportunities, structured training and a competitive employee benefits package including an excellent pension scheme and annual leave provision.
The Role: As Director of Estates in one of the country's largest FE Colleges no two days will be the same. The successful candidate will have a very varied role that directly impacts on the learning opportunities for our local community. Candidates should have demonstrable Estates/Facilities Management experience across multiple sites as this role covers responsibility for the College's 85,000m2 estate which is spread across a 10 mile radius of Birmingham. With an annual budget of GBP 7.5m and staff reports of 140+, this is a high profile role that will report directly to one of our senior leadership team.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Overall leadership, management and responsibility of all estates staff and associated team resources, including facilities managers, estates support managers, maintenance operatives, cleaners, security guards and building support (caretaking) operatives.
- To manage the day to day operations of the Estates Division, ensuring that planning, end-user impact, change management, training, quality management are properly addressed and monitored to ensure that deadlines, budgets and service levels are met and results delivered.
- To set up and performance manage all service contracts for outsourced estates services.
- To manage the effective and efficient use of the College’s Maintenance Management Software System (Riskwise) with the Estates Management Team (EMT).
- To liaise with the Health and Safety Manager on all estates related health and safety matters to ensure the College is legally compliant with all relevant H&S legislation and regulations.
- To contribute to the development and maintenance of a robust Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plan for the College.
- To support the Assistant Principal (AP) to develop and implement a Property Strategy in line with stakeholder needs and current best practice for the FE sector.
- To assist the AP in the planning and implementation of Capital Works Programme.
- To assist the AP in the management of all landlord & tenant and property disposal matters.
- Ensure effective processes and procedures are in place to ensure the delivery of projects and tasks to agreed timescales and service standards.
- Ensure maximum availability of estates resources, specifically accommodation for teaching, learning and support services is maintained at optimum levels.
- Ensure that a high level of internal customer service is provided by the Estates Division.
- Ensure that full transparency is achieved on all aspects of activity in the Estates Division and that effective and agreed prioritisation is applied.
- Work with College functions and curriculum to identify required change, manage Estates Division staff and suppliers as appropriate to bring about this change.
- With support from the AP prepare, submit and agree with AP for Finance, an annual Estates Budget Plan and manage agreed plan in accordance with College Financial Regulations.
- Develop and maintain full asset and inventory records for all Estates resources.
- Support and actively participate in all cross college Management Team and Operational Curriculum and Business meetings.
- When required, support the AP in the preparation and presentation of reports to the College Corporation relating to any significant changes to the Estates Division and/ or Property Strategy.
- To undertake any other activity that would be reasonably required of the postholder.