SENIOR ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN
(36 hours per week, term-time only)
We are looking for a full time Senior Engineering Technician to work to assist in the provision of practical work as part of the science education at the College and in the upkeep of the STEM accommodation.
Applicants must have a minimum of a level 3 Engineering qualification and experience of working in a Science department in a school or FE college or in a laboratory.
(Preference for a Physics specialist, however, we would welcome applicants from all disciplines).
Salary : Band G, points 21 – 22, £26,360 - £27,034 per annum (F/T salary) £23,078.18 - £23,668.27 per annum (P/T salary)
Application form and further details of the post available from the Stanmore College website : www.stanmore.ac.uk or by telephone on 020 8420 7840.
Closing date for applications is Thursday, 29th October 2020
Interviews will be held on Thursday, 12th November 2020
Assisting in the provision of practical work as part of the science/engineering education at the college and in the upkeep of the science/engineer area.
Take responsibility for the technical support in all areas of the Science/engineering department by the preparation of tools, equipment and materials for lessons, to undertake a practical health and safety role for the department and to service machinery within the department.
2. Clearing and dismantling equipment after practicals, cleaning and putting away equipment using the dishwasher as required.
4. Carrying out an annual and thorough clear-out of old stock and equipment and preparing reports on the condition of equipment and facilities, including accommodation, to aid development planning
5. Preparing and maintaining inventories of equipment and chemicals and maintaining storage areas.
6. Researching and sourcing quotes for new items of equipment and preparing orders for new equipment.
7. Keeping all documentation pertaining to the Science/Engineering curriculum area updated, accessible and in good order.
8. Ensuring that STEM staff are kept informed of the most up to date equipment by carrying out web research, attending educational equipment shows and so on.
9. Assisting in the supervision of students during practical classes and accompanying student trips as required.
10. Implementing all aspects of health and safety across the science/engineering area, eg: risk assessments and COSHH analysis.
11. To ensure departmental first aid boxes are kept up-to-date and stocked.
12. Developing some subject specialism and carry out demonstrations to students of some experiments. Conducting trial practicals
13. Carrying out supervision if required in the absence of the lecturer.
14. Taking responsibility for equality and diversity and data protection within the scope of the post.
15. To carry out other tasks reasonably requested by the Science Technician Manager, in accordance with the post holder’s skills and qualifications.
The postholder is liable to undertake such other duties as may reasonably be required, commensurate with the grade, at the present place of work or at any other site on which the College may operate.
This job description is current at the date shown below. In consultation with the postholder, it is liable to variation by management within a reasonable timescale to reflect or anticipate changes in or to the job.