Head of Education
Milton Keynes College has an exciting opportunity for a Head of Education to join the team at HMP Belmarsh.
As Head of Education, you will demonstrate clear, decisive and enterprising leadership in the effective and efficient management of all aspects of the Department’s work.
You will have proven prison management experience and be able to inspire and challenge staff to create a dynamic culture of innovation with outstanding learning, teaching and student success throughout.
You will lead the department, working closely with the Prison Senior Team, to raise standards through the rigorous implementation of target setting, continuous performance management and quality improvement. You will work across the whole establishment, on all wings where education is delivered including the delivery in the High Security Unit.
You will build strong relationships with key partners within the prison, outside the prison and with the College’s wider Long Term High Security Estate Education Leadership Team to deliver a shared Education vison.
Location: HMP Belmarsh, London, SE28 0EBHours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per yearSalary: £40,000 to £45,000 per annum dependent on experience Closing date: Sunday 30th June 2019
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
• 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more…
About HMP Belmarsh:
HMP Belmarsh, part of the Long Term and High Security Estate, is a core local Category A prison located in Thamesmead, South London. It has an operational capacity of 910 and a population that comprises adult and young adult male remands and those sentenced to under twelve months.
HMP Belmarsh in south east London is one of only three high security core local prisons in England and Wales. It became operational on 2nd April 1991, and is a local prison, serving primarily the Central Criminal Court and magistrates Courts in SE London. In addition the establishment serves Crown and Magistrates Courts in SW Essex.
Belmarsh has a dual role in that it also holds Category A prisoners. The prison holds young adults, and low-risk inmates similar to those held in other local prisons, but also over 100 with an indeterminate sentence, and those in custody for more serious offences. The high security unit (HSU), is in effect a prison within a prison. In addition, there are a large number of foreign national prisoners, and a small number requiring specific management arrangements.
As a successful candidate you will:
• Have proven teaching and/or relevant commercial experience.
• Hold a recognised qualification in Leadership & Management (or be willing to work towards).
• Have proven experience in prison management.
• Have proven experience of managing teams in a challenging environment, effectively managing tensions as they arise.
• Hold a teaching qualification and ideally Assessor/Verifier awards.
• Have a degree or equivalent qualification.
• Have well developed organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Have experience of effectively implementing and managing quality improvement processes.
• Display energy, drive and an entrepreneurial attitude to work.
• Have considerable curriculum development experience and be able to articulate an attractive curriculum vision.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education at our campuses in Milton Keynes. In addition, the College delivers employability and skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres. For nearly 30 years, we have worked with offenders in both custody, and the wider community and currently work with 19 prisons across England; this includes 13 prisons, which make up the Long Term High Security Estate, and 6 category B, C & D men’s prisons.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a thorough on boarding process to include DBS. In addition, security clearance is required for all prison services positions.
Milton Keynes College has been officially recognised for its commitment and approach to equality, diversity and inclusion. It has been awarded the much sought-after Leaders in Diversity accreditation from the National Centre for Diversity. The award recognises the College’s clear ethos and values and a belief in the importance of diversity.