Job title: Science Technician
Salary: £22,484 - £23,811 per annum / pro rata
Hours: 15 hrs a week / 38 weeks per year
(5 hrs a day Mon – Wed (9:30 – 12:00; 13:00 -15:30)
Closing Date: 30th July 2019
Term-Time only / Permanent
Start date: 01 Sept 2019
A day in the life of…..
As the science technician you will have responsibility for Health and safety and the day to day operational of the laboratories and associated classrooms, providing support for tutors and students in and outside the classroom. Your duties will include:
- Making up chemical stock solutions to required molarities
- Prepare equipment and chemicals for practicals
- Supporting the lecturer with the delivery of practical sessions
- Tidying away and wash up equipment from practicals
- Managing chemical stocks; purchase, correct storage & disposal.
- Managing equipment; purchase, correct storage & disposal.
- Updating annually all risk assessments (COSHH)
- Shopping; e.g. dissections parts, foods for practicals
- Trying out new practicals
- Supervision of practical “catch up” sessions
- Invigilation of “catch up” exam sessions.
- Experience of of working within a laboratory environment
- Experience of practical biological or chemical lab work.
- Experience in micro-biological techniques
- Experience of working within an education environment
- Related industrial experience
- Maths and English at level 2 or above
- Full level 3 Science Qualification - that includes Chemistry and Biology
- Teaching Qualification at level 3 or above
- Science related degree
Ideal attributes of applicant:
- Working with others – good communication skills and able to work with others
- Planning and organising - highly organised and able to work independently
- Customer and student care – comfortable talking and engaging with young people
- The ability to be flexible and be able to adapt to the changing needs of the department
- To work independently and be an effective team worker with excellent communication skills