Salary: £19,524.74 per annum (pro-rata of £21,432)
We are seeking highly motivated individuals to join our Science team. If you are looking for a new challenge and would like to utilise your skills and experience whilst developing your own career, this role will be both rewarding and fulfilling.
Within this role you will support the teachers across FE and HE level Science courses. The key duties of our Senior Lab Technicians include:
- Oversight of department health and safety procedures including raising awareness of H&S issues in specific relation to laboratories.
- Set up and removal of lab equipment prior to lab sessions following strict health and safety guidelines.
- Liaising with teaching staff to identify requirements of classes.
- Responsible for all science degree practical sessions and supporting staff during the practical session.
- Supervision of dissertation students, while they carry out their lab work for their projects.
- Ensure appropriate risk assessments are carried out for all equipment and practical work.
- Management of departmental equipment and materials including ensuring complete stock and maintenance records
- Setting up and promoting safe working practices within the department.
- Being responsible for the overall running of the labs within the science department with support from the other 2 technicians
Prior knowledge required
- Experience of holding responsibility for prep room management including H&S is essential
- Level 3 qualification in Biology, Chemistry or other relevant Science subject
- Experience of working in a busy school or college science department. With knowledge of microbiology preparation and disposal.
- Have strong science skills, in particular Biology knowledge.
- It would also be advantageous to have knowledge of preparing solutions in a chemistry environment.
The working hours will usually be 37 per week Monday to Friday, which may include some evenings and will be term time only (40 weeks) covering both FE and HE terms. There will also be an occasional Saturday.
You will be a self starter, who can quickly build relationships, with excellent organisation, planning and communication skills.
The College offers many good employment benefits including many on-site benefits and facilities, including a gym and on-site nursery. This position will be based at our Peterborough Park Crescent site.
To apply for this role please visit our website at www.peterborough.ac.uk for further details and to apply using our online application process.