Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The BSS role is a building support service, which supplies various services required for the smooth running of the site. These include:
- Ensure that rooms are prepared for teaching and learning activities and other functions when required. This may include rooms for hire or for use by other external bodies
- Generally, ensure the site is kept clean and presentable at all times
- Set out tables, chairs and other furniture as required for classes, exams, meetings and conferences, using the relevant equipment and training ready for classes at the start of the day
- General litter and waste collection around the site
- Report any obvious deficiencies in the heating or hot water systems as a matter of urgency
- Carry out periodic checks and cleaning (if required) to toilets and showers
- Maintain all outside steps, car parks, drains, hoppers and gullies in a clean condition, including during winter conditions
- Carry out general porterage duties including the lifting and moving of furniture, equipment and goods, delivering to required locations within the college premises ensuring the appropriate paperwork is completed where necessary
- Carry out cleaning of window of interior windows, diffusers, lightshades and fittings
- Replace light bulbs and tubes around the site on a daily basis
- Carry out simple maintenance operations as required
- Take part in relevant health & safety, manual handling, customer first, quality and other relevant training as required
- Carry a radio as required
- Help with stock taking of materials on a regular basis
- Help with evening and weekend activities as and when required
- Work flexibly covering shifts as requested including Open Day/Evening & Enrolment period
- Assist with site deep clean when required
- Complete Room utilisation surveys when required
- Complete Asset Counts when required
- Undertake room and circulation area checks. Report any defects via Spiceworks System where remedial repairs cannot be undertaken
- Cover for BSS personnel on other sites either on a temporary or permanent basis
- Assist with ensuring that Health and Safety standards are maintained.
- Any further duties deemed reasonable by line management
Other Duties and Responsibilities
a) Comply with internal and external quality standards and contribute to the College’s strategic aims.
- Comply with college policies and procedures and health and safety regulations.
c) Support the safeguarding and promotion of students’ welfare.
d) Maintain confidentiality in relation to all College information and to comply with Data Protection Legislation.
- Participate in the College’s Appraisal scheme and undertake any training as required.
- Support and actively participate in the implementation of the College’s Equal Opportunity policies.