This position is suited for persons with a keen interest in learning and imparting knowledge.
Like any other teaching job, the position of an adult learning instructor demands patience, attentiveness, dedication and commitment to fostering learning. You should be able to demonstrate a good level of knowledge and exhibit a deep understanding of any subject you are assigned to teach. This position also demands that you have a flair for impacting knowledge easily to students you come across. Taking up this position will entail maintaining a good level of communication between your students and yourself, you should also be able to relate amicably with other academic staff members of the institution to promote the overall academic goal of the institution.
It is also probably not a surprise to you that you must meet with some educational qualifications to take up this role as an adult educator. These minimum requirements must be duly met before your application can be considered for this position. Some of these qualifications will include:
- A degree in any relevant field from a recognized institution.
- A postgraduate certification in education.
- A certification as an adult educator will be an edge.
- A minimum of two to three years’ experience working with adult learners is required.
- A basic understanding of English language.
- A familiarity with computer technology and Microsoft office.
These qualifications are not only desirable, but they are also a mandatory requirement for you to be considered for this position.
Apart from contributing immensely to the academic growth of any institution you are assigned to work with, there are basic responsibilities which you must perform. They include:
- Planning and preparing lessons.
- Participating in curriculum and staff development activities.
- Conducting of regular student’s assessment.
- Researching and developing new courses, outlines and teaching materials for students.
- Actively work to maintain student retention.
- Keeping an accurate record and monitoring of students’ academic work.
- Conducting tutorials on one on one basis with adult learners.
- Planning of additional support for your students as necessary.
- Observing classroom instructions and providing written evaluations.
- Work collaboratively with other academic tutors in the diverse and inclusive environment of the institution.
- Utilize a variety of teaching styles in order to satisfy the different learning styles of students.
- Setting and overseeing examinations and liaising with awarding bodies to ensure that quality standards are met.
- Maintain a knowledge of the institution's policies and implementing them.
- Carrying out a pastoral role as a personal tutor to students.
- Interviewing potential students and conducting a diagnostic assessment when necessary.
- Contributing to course team meetings to monitor, review and evaluate relevant courses.
- Liaising with other adult education professionals and organization when necessary.
- Maintain an efficient and effective coordination and communication with the entire college staff and faculty resources.
- Undertaking a range of other administrative tasks as will be required of you.
These responsibilities may vary according to the type of institution you are assigned to work with but will be proportional to your capability.
Preference will be given to candidates who meet the clear-cut requirements of this position. To be considered for this position it is important that you meet all the requirements.
Register to apply for adult learning jobs with your CV or set up email alerts to receive updates on adult education jobs with leading UK colleges and prisons as they become available.